Friday, October 8, 2010

Goodbye


Tucker was welcomed into our home before Steve and I had kids. He bathed our house in a blanket of dog hair and love. He was the best home security system money could buy. He barked loud, but licked harder. He was a member of the family, he was the spirit of the family. He always knew when I was upset. He loved to kiss my pregnant belly, he loved to sleep beside the boys. The boys could take food from his mouth, ride on his back, pull on his fur, and he always come back for more. When I cried he pouted. When the boys cried he whined. When the boys fought he got in between them.

He was only sick for about 24 hours. We did not even get concerned enough to take him to the vet. I arrived home from work. He greeted me with tail waggin' love. He laid down on the floor. The boys were upstairs with Dad, who was putting them to bed. Tucker curled up next to me as I rubbed his belly. He leaned up and kissed my nose, then took his last breath. It was the biggest shock. He was happy up until the end. He was not in pain. We should all be so lucky to go in the arms of the person that loves us the most.

I was stressed about the loud barking and the dog hair, but I would give almost anything to hear that bark again and to be coated in his hair. He showed us unconditional love. He taught me to control my temper. He will be missed and loved forever.

4 comments:

  1. RIP Tucker, we miss you. Love you Haufs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tucker was a great dog and we will all miss him. (No follower of this blog should ever have to worry about dry eyes.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. It does help that he was loved the more than just the Haufs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a terrible, terrible shock. I can't imagine the trauma of losing a pet so unexpectedly. I can't imagine explaining that to the boys. My heart goes out to all of you.

    ReplyDelete