Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I have been reading this wonderful book  The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D.  It is amazing.   It is not only helpful because I myself am an introvert, but my Adam is as well.   It has helped me to understand his frustrations and my frustrations with him.  One of the most amazing points the book makes is that introverts recharge from within and extroverts recharge from the outside world.  Simple concept, but aha moment indeed. 

So here I am blessed with two amazing children.  They are alike and different in so many ways.  The main difference I am coming to understand is that Nathan is more of an extrovert and Adam is more of an introvert.   This concept helps me to teach them each more effectively and to understand them each in their own right.  

Adam tends to soak in things, like language.  He will listen time and time again to a word without trying to say it.  Just at the moment that he feels he has practice enough in his head , he states "elephant" or "ambulance"   It is amazing and astounding to hear him say the word so clearly. 

Nathan tends to throw it all our there.   If you say ketchup, he tries and tries to say it.  Right now it sounds like "cabbage", but hey I know what he means.   It is amazing how he puts it all out there.   He loves attention and LOVES to talk to people.  

What a blessing to be born with a friend that can help you look out and that can help you look in.  Adam will help Nathan look in.  Nathan will help Adam look out.   I can't imagine a better blessing, except maybe to be their mom.  They help me to look in and look out.  I am truly blessed more than anyone deserves.   


1 comment:

  1. parenting brings about more "ah ha" moments than i ever had imagined before becoming one. happy birthday to your boys!

    ReplyDelete